CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS REGULAR MEETING
January 7, 2004 – 7:30 PM
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Michael White at 7:35PM.
Members present: Managers Darrell Scott, Mike White, and Bud Bystrom. Deena Congdon arrived during the reading of the correspondence.
Members absent: Rob Scott
Also present: Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto Ltd., Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald, a reporter from the Voyageur Sentinel and 1 member of the community.
Motion by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Scott to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 3, 2003. Motion carried.
Chairman M. White reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Scott to approve the December Treasurer’s Report and the payment of the following Administrative and Project bills. Administrative: J.A. Pohlman – $73.19; Frontier – $61.42; and RLK Kuusisto – $162.50. Project: Cope & Peterson – $601.25; RLK-Kuusisto – $6,547.71; Environmental Financial Group – $300.00; and Lake Country Power – $7,090.00. Motion carried.
- The correspondence was presented to the Board.
- A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by D. Congdon that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. Motion carried.
RLK-Project Status Report
- Construction-Wastewater Collection System – Wagner has shut down for the winter.
- Construction-Wastewater Treatment System – Rice Lake will continue working on the building next week. The subcontractor drilled the well 125 feet and did not have an adequate water supply, therefore the Contractor drilled an additional 200 feet and is currently evaluating the water supply at this depth. There will be additional expense to the District.
- Partial Payment Estimate No. 6 for the Wastewater Collection System in the amount of $15,634.88 and Partial Payment Estimate No. 6 for the Wastewater Treatment System in the amount of $44,160.11 were presented to the Board for approval and payment.
- A motion was made by B. Bystrom supported by D. Scott to authorize payment of the two Partial Payment Estimates and previously approved project bills. Motion carried.
- The equipment at the junction of Crane Lake Road and Handberg Road will be lighted.
- Open issues include: Grinder pump approval – to be discussed below. Record Plat – RLK has met with Cope & Peterson and they are in the process of completing the property changes. Power to Lift Station and Treatment Site – Lake Country Power is in the process of completing the power service to the WWT facility and the main lift station. Biosolids Disposal – Mr. Appelwick of NTS will set up a meeting with the City of Orr to discuss biosolid transfer and will meet with Voyagaire Lodge to discuss use of a potential land disposal site owned by Voyagaire in Buyck. Easement/construction changes requested by homeowners since the development of Contract Documents.
- There was a meeting on 12/22/03 attended by representatives of RLK, CLWSD, Quality Flow and Barnes. The result of the meeting is that Barnes is willing to work with the District to arrive at a pump that meets the specifications and the Board’s approval.
- A new submittal was received and reviewed by RLK.
- J. Pucel distributed further information to the Board.
- The Board will review the information provided; submit any concerns or questions to Jo Ann, who will forward that information to other Board members.
- RLK will submit their recommendation to the Board at the February 4th meeting.
- The Board will make their decision at the February 4th meeting.
- B. Bystrom stated that he would not be at the February 4th meeting and would agree with the Engineer’s recommendation.
Eastern Service Area Plan
- J. Pucel presented a revised Preliminary Engineering Report draft for the ESA.
- The report includes barging options.
- J. Pucel requested questions and comments from the Board after their review, with a final draft being presented at the February 4th meeting.
- Glorvigen, Theis, Lind & Co. accounting firm in Grand Rapids has concluded their research and presented their recommendations for an accounting system and a billing system in a letter dated 1/5/2004.
- Glorvigen also presented a proposal for auditing and reporting requirements.
- A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by D. Scott to accept Glorvigen’s proposals for accounting and billing systems and their proposal for auditing and reporting requirements. Motion carried.
Board Appointments & Related Governing Body
- The St. Louis County Board met in Ely on December 23rd and acted upon the CLWSD request related to Board appointments. Chair M. White attended the meeting.
- The County Board passed a resolution appointing Rob Scott and reappointing Mike White to the Board of Managers.
- The County Board also passed a resolution in favor of transferring the Board appointment process to the Town Board from the County Board. The resolution has been sent to the MPCA for their approval.
- D. Congdon will look into ways to recognize Jim Sanborn for his contribution to the District as a member of the Board since the District’s inception.
Election of Officers/Board Designates
- M. White asked the other Board members if this should be postponed until there is a full Board present.
- D. Congdon felt decisions should be made when there is a quorum.
- The Board agreed to address election of officers and Board designates at the February 4th meeting.
- Scott Harder of Environmental Financial Group was invited to attend this meeting but was unable to attend.
- Mr. Harder should be able to present a Financial Plan with a Rate Schedule formula at the February 4th meeting.
- M. White will work on a newsletter in the coming weeks, which will be forwarded to the Board members for approval.
- D. Congdon requested that information on low interest loans for property owners be included in the letter.
- The Board members discussed having another meeting in January.
- They decided to schedule the next meeting for February 4, 2004.
D. Congdon stated that Rev. Bernhard Lutz’s son had spoken to her about the expense his father had incurred when following County recommendations for sewer upgrades a few years ago. He said he was not aware of the sewer project and the additional expenses he would incur.
D. Congdon stated that Bill Traff had contacted her offering the road he had built on Bear Island for trucking if barging was to be used for Bear Island. D. Congdon responded that the Board was not making decisions regarding barging at this time and that he could write to the Board.
Ruth L. Carlson said that the name for the treatment plant road was selected last summer because of the urgency of having the road marked for deliveries. To date there is no road sign. J. Pucel said he would look into the sign issue.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 8:40PM.
NEXT MEETING: FEBRUARY 4, 2004 AT THE CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL AT 7:30PM.