CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS REGULAR MEETING
January 8, 2003 – 7:30 PM
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL
Study Session: 7:00 – 7:30PM
Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto stated that the Board has two major issues – The Eastern Service Area Report and the Bids. Jim distributed copies of the Preliminary Engineering Report for the Eastern Service Area to the Board. John Jamnick of RLK-Kuusisto explained that the bidding climate has improved and that they were able to decrease the cost estimate of the Treatment Facility by $300,000 by minimizing the amount of concrete needed and by changing the building design.
The meeting was called to order by Vice-Chairman Darrell Scott at 7:30PM.
Members present: Managers Darrell Scott, Mike White, Deena Congdon and Jim Sanborn.
Also present: John Jamnick and Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto Ltd., Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald and four members of the community.
Motion by D. Congdon, supported by M. White to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 4, 2002. Motion carried.
Motion by J. Sanborn, supported by D. Congdon to approve the December Treasurer’s Report and payment of administrative bills as follows: Frontier – $57.18; Minnesota Rural Water – $195.00; and to move on the loan at Border State Bank later in the Agenda. Motion carried.
- The correspondence was presented to the Board. M. White presented an inquiry from the U.S. Census Bureau which was not included in the Clerk’s correspondence presentation. M. White requested that the Clerk respond to the Census Bureau stating that the questionnaire does not apply to the CLWSD as a utility at this time.
Bank Loan Status
- Clerk Jo Ann reviewed the loan status with the Board.
- A motion was made by M. White, supported by D. Congdon to contact Border State Bank requesting that the loan be extended for three months after which we should receive interim financing from Minnesota Rural Water; and to pay the accrued interest and any fees due. Motion carried.
RLK-Kuusisto Progress Report
- Completed review of the bids for the wastewater collection and wastewater treatment project.
- Suggested that the Board make a motion to reject the bids and re-bid the project.
- Spoke with Bill Priebe of the MPCA regarding the status of the project.
- Spoke with Alicia Cope regarding easements and the easement plat.
- Spoke with Roger Clapp of Rural Development to discuss the project status and the potential for additional loan funds.
RLK-Kuusisto Progress Report (cont.)
- Developed a draft of the Eastern Service Area Plan and recommended that the Board review the Plan and consider a public information meeting in the Spring.
- A motion was made by M. White, supported by J. Sanborn to reject the bids that were received on the project and to go out for bids again as soon as possible. Motion carried.
Easements Status Report
- Work continues on the easement issues remaining to be resolved.
- A motion was made by M. White, supported by D. Congdon to send to the Town Board the Consent that Alicia Cope drafted requesting its approval to cross the Right-of-Ways in Chase, Baylis Crane Lake Addition and Harding Manor for signature. Motion carried.
Resolution Ordering Improvement
- A motion was made by M. White, supported by D. Congdon to sign the Resolution Ordering Improvement. Motion carried.
Eastern Service Area Plan
- RLK-Kuusisto provided the Board with copies of the Preliminary Engineering Report for the Eastern Service Area at the Study Session.
- The Board will review the Report.
- Four copies of the Report will be at the Post Office for members of the community to checkout for review and return.
Ordinance Plan & Rate Schedule
- M. White compiled a document with responses to the questions from the draft ordinance posed by Mary Frances Skala of Fryberger et al.
- A copy of the document was given to RLK-Kuusisto and a copy will be forwarded to Mary Frances Skala.
- This was addressed previously in the RLK-Kuusisto Progress Report.
Financial Statements – Year 2002
- A motion was made by M. White, supported by J. Sanborn that the Clerk write a letter to Sterle & Co., Ltd. asking what information they need for 2002 year-end financial statements and asking what responsibilities should be separated from the Clerk if the Treasurer position was included in her duties. Motion carried.
Vacancy/Board of Managers
- There is a vacancy on the Board of Managers which must be filled.
- When the MPCA created the CLWSD, St. Louis County was the local form of government which appointed the managers to the Board.
- The County is reviewing the matter to determine if this is still the case or if the responsibility of manager appointment could be transferred to the Town.
Board 2003 Officer Elections
- Motion by M. White, supported by D. Congdon to postpone the election of officers until there is a full Board of Managers with D. Scott remaining Acting-Chair and M. White remaining Treasurer until that time. Motion carried.
Board Designates – Accountant, Attorney, Bank & Newspaper
- A motion was made by M. White, supported by J. Sanborn for the Board Designates to remain the same until there is a full Board of Managers. Motion carried.
Town Board Website Request
- Information was forwarded to the Town of Crane Lake via e-mail regarding procedure and expenses to include the Town on the CLWSD Website.
The next meeting will be a Regular Board Meeting on February 5, 2003 at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel with a Study Session beginning at 7:00PM prior to the meeting.
Bob Bowers asked when the Preliminary Engineering Report for the Eastern Service Area was presented. He was advised it was presented at the Study Session. He then asked for clarification of the Study Session and the Regular Meeting. It was explained that the study sessions are for discussion only, decisions are made at the meetings. The public is welcome to attend both.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 8:08PM.