CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS REGULAR MEETING
July 10, 2002 – 7:30 PM
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL
Study Session: 6:30 – 7:30PM
Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto reviewed the Project Status Report. They have met with community members regarding sewer line alignments. They have spoken with Roger Clapp of Rural Development; the project file is being reviewed by the attorney for funding. A revised functional project definition has been sent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
RLK-Kuusisto recommends that the mainline route be changed from between the Staehle/Scott property to Handberg Road. Also must change the route of the mainline near the Tufte property to maintain the proper distance from their well.
The Berling/Eggen properties should be considered as add-ons to the project to be determined after receipt of funding and bids.
The plans and specifications should be completed by the end of July. We should be able to advertise for bids before RD’s final approval.
Paperwork for the Interim Financing should be initiated.
The meeting was called to order by Vice-Chairman Darrell Scott at 7:30PM.
Members present: Managers Jim Sanborn, Darrell Scott, Mike White, and Deena Congdon. Members absent: David Dill.
Also present: Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto Ltd., Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cooks News Herald, and seven members of the community.
Motion by M. White, supported by J. Sanborn to approve the minutes of the Special Meeting of June 19, 2002 with the correction of “Motion carried” being added after the motion made by M. White, supported by J. Sanborn to have David Dill consult with Attorney Mary Francis Skala of Freyberger, et al related to an Ordinance similar to Article III, Section 5 of the Sewer Use Ordinance for Fayal Township for adoption at the next meeting of the Board. Motion carried.
Motion by J. Sanborn, supported by D. Congdon to approve the June Treasurer’s Report and payment of administrative bills as follows: Voyageur Trail Society – $893.57; Quill – $65.77, Handberg’s – $41.00, Jo Ann Pohlman – $25.00, $13.85, $37.00, M. White – $28.76, VeriSign – $35.00. Motion carried.
Motion by D. Congdon, supported by J. Sanborn to authorize Mike White to proceed with fund transfer of $21,052 from Administrative to Project funds. Motion Carried.
Motion by M. White, supported by J. Sanborn to write a letter to the Town of Crane Lake Board offering $6,000 as an interest free loan for 2002, to be reviewed at the end of the year. Motion carried.
- The correspondence was presented to the Board as received from June 20 through July 10, 2002.
RLK-Kuusisto Progress Report
- See above – Study Session notes.
- Advertisements for Bids will begin in August with the opening set for September with RD and MPCA approval.
- D. Dill was not present to report on the ordinance for WSA hook-up.
- The NPDES/SDS Permit Application has been accepted by the MPCA.
- USFS Permits have been signed and sent to the Forest Service. Jim Pucel will be contacting them soon to begin test drilling and the access road, possibly next week.
- The purchase of Potlatch land is complete.
Budget – Plant Automation
- RLK-Kuusisto will meet with Northeast Technical Services (NTS) next week regarding a proposal for remote operation of the plant and will report at the next meeting.
- The Board will compare this information with the option of hiring a full time operator.
- This information will be needed to determine rates and ordinances.
Board Plan – Eastern Service Area
- Motion by M. White, supported by D. Congdon to accept RLK-Kuusisto’s proposal of $2000 for the development of a preliminary engineering report for wastewater treatment and collection options for the Eastern Service Area. Motion carried.
Rate Schedule & Ordinance Plan
- M. White was not prepared to report on the rate schedule & ordinance plan but plans to work on it next week.
- M. White talked to the Minnesota Association of Townships attorney and the attorney for the Town of Crane Lake about the transfer of responsibility of the CLWSD. They advised that the town had enough issues to address at this time and suggesting waiting on the transfer of responsibility.
- M. White also mentioned that the area has three taxing districts to look at – the CLWSD, the Fire Department and the Town of Crane Lake.
The next meeting will be a Special Board Meeting on July 24, 2002 at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel with a Study Session beginning at 6:30PM prior to the meeting.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 8.00 PM.