CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
July 6, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Darrell Scott
Also present: Randy Jenniges of S.E.H., Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob Scott referred to the explosion at the lift station where Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman was injured. The ESA CSAH 24 Extension project that began last fall should be completed soon.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of June 1, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. June 2011 payroll expenses, including payroll tax payments, were as follows: Administrative – $1,312.54 and Operations – $3,069.98. The May 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $1,129.92; Lutefisk Tech. – $275.40 and Quill – $90.86. ESA: CNH – $13.50 and S.E.H. – $6,435.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,009.42, $86.09, $35.53 & $46.53; Hawkins – $1,130.37; Pace Analytical – $328.00; Quality Flow – $2,213.85; USABlueBook – $374.03; Viita’s Excavation – $6,630.00 (explosion related); and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,511.63 & $843.60 (explosion related). All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept.
The District will work with unanticipated expenses related to the lift station explosion as they occur.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
- USA Pay Application #4: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon to approve payment of Utility Systems of America, Inc.’s Application for Payment No. 4 in the amount of $74,505.37 for work completed to date; the District may consider liquidation damages as per contract for USA’s not meeting the substantial completion date of June 24, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Verification of fund use will be reviewed with Mary Frances Skala of Fryberger Buchanan.
- Additional Maintenance Personnel: Rutchasky Enterprises is filling in for Jim in his absence. The Board agreed that $21.60 per hour would cover Jim’s wage of $18.00 per hour plus any additional payroll expenses. A contract will be prepared for Rutchasky Enterprises.
- Ordinance Review: A fair fee was discussed for installation of a second grinder station on a property. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, that expenses for expansion beyond capacity will be covered by the individual with existing service. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Insurance Waiver and Acknowledgement: A motion was made by B. Condon, supported by M. Anderson, to sign insurance documents stating that the District does not waive the monetary limits on municipal tort liability established by Minnesota Statutes 466.04 and acknowledging that the District has instructed Wells Fargo Ins. Services USA, Inc. to place insurance coverages with the non-traditional market that is authorized by the Wells Fargo Insurance Services USA, Inc. Security Committee. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Mediation: The mediation date has not been set by the judge to date. An August date is anticipated.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – July 6, 2011
- VNP Clean Waters Project: The July JPB monthly meeting will be held at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall at 6:30PM, Tuesday, July 12th prior to the Town Board of Supervisors’ Meeting.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: A report compiled from public meetings held in June containing recommendations on how the US and Canada can work together to better manage water quality, water quantity and related issues in the international Lake of the Woods and Rainy River watershed will be sent to the International Joint Commission (IJC) for review.
- Hearing: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to adopt Resolution No. 2011-03 adopting special assessments for the property owners in the CSAH 24 Extension area of the Eastern Service Area (ESA). All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: Utility Systems of America’s substantial completion date was set for June 24, 2011; work had not been completed by this meeting date.
- Tasks for Completion: Punch List creation and completion. Get permanent easements for grinder station locations and service lines outside of the right of way and record them.
- Comprehensive Plan Work: The Board discussed the expense of expansion on CSAH 24 beyond the current project point. The District would need funding through the JPB to make further expansions.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit. Spring infiltration has increased.
- Culvert Sewer Upgrade: There was no report.
- Lift Station Explosion: The District has communicated with all required agencies in relation to the event. A temporary pumping system with one of the existing 20 hp, 180 gpm pumps, a temporary control panel, and a three float system is in use. Prior to that, Viita remained onsite and transferred wastewater 24 hours per day. Normal operation was resumed the afternoon of June 29th, following the event. No overflows or bypasses were reported during this incident. Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman remains at St. Mary’s Hospital in Duluth.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reported that all effluent limitations were met during the month of June.
- A-1 Sewer Service disposed of sludge from the treatment plant in June.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 3, 2011, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.