CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
July 7, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bill Congdon and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adams and Darrell Scott.
Also present: S.E.H. Representative Julie Kennedy, Jeff Mogush of Ferguson Water Works, Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne Jackson, Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald and 3 members of the community.
Opening Comments: Chairman Scott offered condolences to the family of Laurie Brown on behalf of the District. Laurie was with the U of M Extension Service and worked with the ESA Advisory Committee.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of June 2, 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. June payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $657.28 and Operations – $1,728.14. $33,263.99 has been received by the District for Property Tax Levy and Special Assessments. The May 2010 financial statements, presented to the Board and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon approving quarterly transfer of funds from the Operating Fund to the Debt Service Fund. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Fryberger, et al – $288.00, $601.20 & $194.40; Carl Brown Consulting – $1,536.00; Costin Group – $1,000.00 & $1,288.00; Crane Lake Chapel – $125.00; Glorvigen – $120.00; Lutefisk Tech. – $275.40 & $63.75; Jo Ann Pohlman – $28.79; Quill – $37.30; and RVS – $125.00 & $57.71. Operations: Lake Country Power – $276.97, $81.47, $34.41 & $47.82; Brandau Plumbing & Heating – $644.31; Citi Lites – $337.50; Crane Lake Lawn Care – $200.00; Gopher State One Call – $5.80; Hawkins – $595.30; Nelson’s Resort – $65.00 & $18.25; NTS – $559.00; Rutchasky Enterprises – $6,480.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,350.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board reviewed a Projected Income & Expense summary of the Operating Fund for the remainder of 2010 provided to assist the Board in future I&I work decisions.
- Initial Installation Review – Ordinance 3: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson to accept Carl Brown’s consulting proposal to calculate and provide advice concerning special assessments for the ESA – CSAH 24 expansion for $1,536.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Mr. Brown is currently finalizing his initial proposal for the Board. The Board’s opinion is that the methodology used in the WSA is applicable and should be followed in the ESA and is considering special assessments for the expansion area.
- Unemployment Issue: B. Congdon and T. Hoff have appealed the issue with no success.
- Costin Group Contract: B. Congdon will communicate with Gary Cerkvenik of the Costin Group to determine if continuation of the contract is in the District’s best interest.
- VLD Special Assessments: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve J.A. Pohlman and R. Scott contacting the County Auditor regarding special assessment distribution on the VLD parcel codes. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Survey Letters: EDU survey letters will be sent with the July billing.
- Insurance Waiver: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, that the District waives the monetary limits on tort liability established by Minnesota Statutes 466.04, to the extent of the limits of the liability coverage obtained from LMCIT. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Mediation: Mediate is scheduled for July 27, 2010 in Duluth.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – July 7, 2010
- The monthly meetings of the Namakan Basin Joint Powers Board (JPB) and the VNP Clean Water Joint Powers Board (JPB) were held at the Cook Land Department. The comprehensive plan, which has been in the making for approximately one and one-half years, can be viewed on the S.E.H. website. It is anticipated that the comprehensive plan will be approved at the July meeting. If the plan is approved, the Namakan Basin JPB’s work is done. The VNP Clean Water JPB will remain active and the Namakan Basin JPB members will act in an advisory capacity on that board. Julie Kennedy of S.E.H. will be attending the July 13th Township Board of Supervisors’ Meeting to provide JPB information to the public.
Collection System Expansion
- S.E.H. Design Review: Julie Kennedy reviewed the ESA-CSAH 24 Extension design with the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson to adopt Resolution #2010-01 acknowledging receipt of preliminary report; calling a public hearing on a sanitary sewer improvement; and approving plans and specifications. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Public Notification: A Public Hearing date will be set for Thursday, July 29, 2010, 7:30PM at the Fellowship Hall.
- Bid Process: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon recommending that S.E.H. follow the standard low bid process. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Easements: Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. is working with Melissa Maloney of Fryberger on easement process.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: Citi Lites will be asked to look into the issues at the Darrell Scott home and the Church.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: Corrective action has been completed at the Hamblin, Beckmann and Pine Point stations. More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the ‘fix’ works and as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reported that all state standards were maintained during June.
- Recirculation Pump: A new motor starter was installed in the motor control panel for the old re-circulating pump. It appears to have corrected the problem. Terry will look into the cost of a new pump, in the event a new pump is needed.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) Betty Corcoran stated that they had a pending sale on the Clemmer property, which includes part of a VLD parcel. She would appreciate anything the District can do to clear the special assessment issues.
Jeff Mogush of Ferguson Water Works discussed the E-1 pump and tank he had on display in the Fellowship Hall parking lot following meeting adjournment.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: AUGUST 4, 2010, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.