CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
June 1, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
Bruce Beste took the Oath of Office prior to the meeting.
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Bill Congdon and Darrell Scott
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob Scott welcomed Bruce Beste to the Board and thanked him for volunteering his time to the District.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of May 4, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. May 2011 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $807.98 and Operations – $1,626.50. The Board did not approve early tax distribution of levy money. Levy money will be received in early July. The April 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Fryberger, Buchanan – $451.35; Glorvigen – $218.75; and S.E.H. – $1,456.50. ESA: S.E.H. – $5,957.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,272.11, $83.16, $57.87 & $96.68; Hawkins – $1,100.69; Pace Analytical – $280.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,217.62. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
- Additional Maintenance Personnel: The District continues to review.
- Ordinance Review: Ordinance 1 updates were provided by Fryberger, Buchanan. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson to approve the changes made by Fryberger, Buchanan. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Ordinance 3 updates were reviewed. A Commercial User EDU assignment under Section 6, Table III for Public Showers/Laundry/Sauna Building is being considered with the possibility of dividing it into three separate valuations of .20 for Showers, .20 for Laundry, and .20 for Sauna. Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. will review and provide his opinion. A fair fee was discussed for installation of a second grinder station on a property. The Board will communicate with both the District’s engineer and rate consultant on this issue.
- Permits – Sewer Connections: The Board agreed that a Contractors Electrical Connection License will be needed for the expansion area. Electrical contractors and sewer contractors would need District engineer approval prior to performing work on the system. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson to establish a fee structure of $100 for contractors performing work on the system and $300 for new customers connecting to the system. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. joined the meeting via telephone at 8:15PM.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: Utility Systems of America has one grinder station and 2 sewer service lines to finish on the project; as well as restoration. Project completion is anticipated for June 24th.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – June 1, 2011
ESA Expansion (Cont.)
- Special Assessments: Randy will confirm the interest rate and the number of years for assessment payment with Carl Brown, the District’s rate advisor. A resolution is needed to authorize staff to prepare the proposed assessment for the ESA CSAH 24 Expansion. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to adopt Resolution No. 2011-01 Declaring Cost to be Assessed, and Ordering Preparation of Proposed Assessment. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A second resolution is needed to set the final assessment hearing date and time and to publish notice. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to adopt Resolution No. 2011-02 for Hearing on Proposed Assessment. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Tasks for Completion: Get permanent easements for grinder station locations and service lines outside of the right of way and record them. Hold the Final Assessment Hearing.
- Easement Work: The Board authorized $2,000 for S.E.H. to complete easement work.
- Comprehensive Plan Work: A map of planned expansion areas was sent to the Board by S.E.H. for consideration in April.
- Mediation: The mediation date has not been set by the judge to date. An August date is anticipated.
- VNP Clean Waters Project: The JPB held its monthly meeting in May. Kabetogama approved treatment plant construction. The July JPB meeting will be held at the Fellowship Hall at 6:30PM prior to the Town Board of Supervisors’ Regular Meeting on July 12, 2011.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: Public meetings will be held to receive comments on its draft final report between June 13 and June 16. Meetings to be held at Atikokan, Fort Frances and Kenora in Ontario, and Baudette, MN. The report contains recommendations on how the US and Canada can work together to better manage water quality, water quantity and related issues in the international Lake of the Woods and Rainy River watershed.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit. Spring infiltration has increased.
- Culvert: A small pex pipe will be installed inside the carrier pipe of the forcemain to prevent freezing. The pex pipe will hold the heat tape inside. The County has budgeted approximately $22,000 for the work. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson to approve S.E.H. to coordinate the work between Rutchasky Enterprises, Purdy Electric and the County and to supply spare parts not to exceed $7,000. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reported that all effluent limitations were met during the month of May.
- A-1 Sewer Service will be disposing of sludge from the treatment plant in June.
- A new motor has been ordered for the sludge scraping mechanism in the primary clarifier to be installed upon receipt.
- The cost of aluminum sulfate is being reviewed.
- Lift Station Annual Calibration: The necessity of a yearly calibration will be reviewed.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:50PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: FINAL ASSESSMENT HEARING: JULY 6, 2011, 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.