CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS REGULAR MEETING
June 5, 2002 – 7:30 PM
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL
Study Session: 6:30 – 7:30PM
John Jamnick reviewed the Project Status Report with the Board. Preliminary sets of Plans have been sent to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the US Army Corps of Engineers and Rural Development. All but a few easement documents have been sent to landowners. The permit application for the MPCA needs to be signed and returned to the engineers. Cost estimates have been developed for Eggen and Berling properties. Future building plans have been discussed with John Alsacker. More service line alignment change requests have been received from property owners.
The portion of the main line route between the Scott and Staehle property may need to be surveyed.
There was discussion on the Ordinance and Rate Schedule.
The meeting was called to order by Vice-Chairman Darrell Scott at 7:30PM.
Members present: Managers Jim Sanborn, Darrell Scott, Mike White, and Deena Congdon. Members absent: David Dill.
Also present: John Jamnick and Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto Ltd., Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cooks News Herald, and three members of the community.
Motion by D. Congdon, supported by M. White to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of May 1 and the Special Meeting of May 22, 2002. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion by D. Congdon, supported by J. Sanborn to approve the May Treasurer’s Report and payment of administrative bills as follows: Frontier – $50.09, J. Pohlman – $40.00, Quill – $154.83, and Quill – $46.98. Motion carried unanimously.
- The correspondence was presented to the Board as received from May 23 through June 5, 2002.
RLK-Kuusisto Progress Report
- See above – First paragraph.
- J. Pucel & J. Jamnick provided costs on sewer service to the Berling and Eggen properties.
- M. White will review the costs including and excluding the Berling and Eggen properties and report at the next meeting to determine which way to proceed.
- John Alsaker has been notified as to what he needs to do to be included in the project. He has been notified that he would have to have building permits for the four buildings he plans to build.
Funding – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Two representatives of the USACE met with J. Pucel and J. Jamnick at the RLK-Kuusisto office regarding funding.
- They are waiting for the easements, RD approval and the Project Cooperation Agreement.
Funding – Rural Development Schedule
- Rural Development needs the Easements from property owners to complete funding requirements.
- Motion by D. Congdon, supported by J. Sanborn that a letter will be written by M. White to Western Service Area property owners thanking them for returning their signed easements and urging those who have not returned them to do so immediately. Motion carried unanimously. This is key to funding and construction. Nearly all easements have been sent to property owners; only 12 have been returned.
- The Potlatch land purchase should be completed within two weeks.
- The easement over Historical Society property for the discharge pipe has been received.
- Motion by D. Congdon, supported by J. Sanborn to pass the Loan Resolution required by Rural Development, if not already done. Motion carried unanimously.
- Motion by D. Congdon, supported by J. Sanborn to complete the Certification Regarding Prohibited Tying Arrangements and return to Rural Development. Motion carried unanimously.
- Motion by D. Congdon, supported by J. Sanborn authorizing the survey to determine the property line between the Scott and Staehle properties for the main sewer line, if advised to do so by District attorney, Alicia Cope. Motion carried unanimously.
Budget – Plant Automation & Plant Operation
- M. White requested that J. Jamnick communicate with Northeast Technical Services (NTS) regarding remote operation of the plant.
- The Board will compare this information with other options.
- The District would still need a hands-on operator at Crane Lake and could be provided by NTS.
- This information will be needed to determine rates and ordinances.
Board Plan – Eastern Service Area
- M. White requested a plan from the engineers on the approach to providing service to the rest of the District.
- J. Jamnick will have this information soon.
Rate Schedule & Ordinance Plan
- The rate schedule will be addressed before the ordinance.
- Questions and comments from the property owners are invited with this process.
- J. Pucel will provide M. White with a list of questions with his suggestions; M. White will then review this information with D. Dill.
Response to Beth Odde, U of M.
- Motion by M. White, supported by D. Congdon to send the Facility Plan update to Beth Odde as a response to her request for information on the CLWSD project. Motion carried unanimously.
- Clerk J. Pohlman has sent in the application to become a notary public.
The next meeting will be a Special Board Meeting on June 19, 2002 at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel with a Study Session beginning at 6:30PM prior to the meeting.
The July meeting will be on July 10, 2002.
Would the expense for addition to the sewer system at a later date be born by the individual property owner directly or through property taxes? Answer: That will need to be addressed in the ordinance.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 8.10 PM.