Crane Lake, Minnesota Water & Sanitary District  
Crane Lake, Minnesota Water & Sanitary District - Menu



March 17, 2004 – 7:30 P.M.


The meeting was called to order by Chairman Michael White at 7:30 P.M.


Members present:  Managers Bud Bystrom, Deena Congdon, Rob Scott and Michael White


Members Absent: Manager Darrell Scott.


Also present:  Jim Pucel of RLK Kuusisto, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News Herald, a reporter from the Voyageur Sentinel and three members of the community.




Motion by R. Scott, supported by B. Bystrom to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of March 3, 2004.  Motion carried.



  • The correspondence was presented to the Board
  • A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required.  Motion carried.



RLK-Kuusisto Project Status Report

  • Requested and received a quote to be used by the landowners from Wagner Construction to complete the connection from the home to the grinder pump station.
  • There was much Board discussion on the Wagner quote.
  • There was discussion of the issue of changes in location of the easements during construction.  If changes are made at the homeowners request, the owner will pay the expenses.
  • A letter was sent to the Board addressing the concern about debris in the mainline sewer piping. The Resident Project Rep., Mike Fenstermacher, was unaware of any debris in the pipe and had directed the Contractor to check the end of the pipe prior to the pipe being buried.  No documentation supporting the concern was found in the construction reports.  The Contractor is required to perform a hydrostatic pressure test on the mainline, and upon completion of the pressure test, the main shall be flushed.
  • B. Bystrom stated that he would like to see the lines pressure flushed, not just a gravity drain.  J. Pucel will write the Contractor regarding the debris and request a price quote for flushing.  This information will assist the Board in deciding if flushing will be necessary, or if the one-year warranty will be sufficient.
  • The Township Board will review and sign the plat at their March 18, 2004 meeting.
  • RLK spoke with Mike Appelwick of Northeast Technical Service (NTS) about biosolids.  The City of Orr is concerned with its own phosphorous limits and may not be interested in Crane Lake biosolids; NTS is also looking at property in Gheen and Buyck for land application.
  • The Engineering Agreement, Amendment No. 2 has been divided into Amendments No. 2 and potential No. 3.  J. Pucel presented Amendment No. 2 to the Board for review.  R. Scott voiced his concern about the Contract increases and asked for more background information on the Amendment.  J. Pucel will supply that information to the Board.
  • A Meter Option Summary was included with the Report.  M. White requested a letter from RLK explaining the metering costs and including a recommendation.  Meters are now being considered for every user in the WSA.

2004 Construction Schedule

  • R. Scott reported that the approved Contract goals needed to be coordinated with the concerns of the citizens.
  • The citizens concerns are disruption of their service and compliance.
  • R. Scott feels a contingency plan should be in place if the plant start up is delayed beyond July 1.
  • B. Bystrom stated that the Board had to believe that the Engineers have deadlines they must meet and would complete the project on time.  He also felt a Newsletter should be sent to property owners stating their responsibilities and hook-up contractor options.  There also will be a Construction Meeting next week when these issues may be discussed with the Contractors.
  • Properties need to be identified into groups.  Those that can install the new system without disrupting their current system, and those that must abandon their old system before the grinder is operational.


Board Administrative Procedures

  • Meeting procedure was discussed.
  • The Board agreed that open lines of communications were needed prior to meetings to facilitate the meetings.
  • Information received via fax, e-mail and mail on the day of the meeting is difficult to get to the Board for their review prior to the meeting.  Dialog with those sending the communications may also be needed prior to the meetings.
  • J. Pucel will provide the Project Status Report to the Board on Monday prior to the meetings.


Eastern Service Area

·         J. Pucel had nothing new to report on the ESA.  We are waiting to get on the Project Priority List (PPL) before funding can be pursued.

  • M. White asked J. Pucel what options are available for funding.  How many agencies are being contacted and what are their timelines?
  • R. Scott will work with J. Pucel on the ESA.
  • M. White stated that the Legislative Commission on Minnesota Resources (LCMR) funding request has been submitted for the ESA holding tank project.  There are 220 other requests.
  • The expenses of the research on the ESA come from Administrative Funds and are separate from the WSA Project Funds.


Accounting System/Audit

  • M. White, T. Hoff, and J. Pohlman are collecting the information needed for the audit.


Financial Plan

  • The Financial Plan was received from Scott Harder on 3/17/04.
  • The rates in the Plan are based on current knowledge and will not be set until project completion.
  • The Board will review the Plan and direct their questions to J. Pohlman or S. Harder.
  • The Financial Plan is available at $.25 per page and consists of nine pages.  Requests for the plan and any questions should be presented in writing to the Clerk.
  • After questions are compiled, a Public Hearing will be scheduled in April.
  • After the Public Hearing the Board will take action on the Financial Plan.
  • The Financial Plan does include meters in its calculations.


Northeast Technical Services

  • M. White spoke to Mike Appelwick.  Mr. Appelwick is currently communicating with his insurance company about contract issues.


MPCA  I.S.T.S. Grant

  • Kuder’s have received their payment.
  • Sanborn’s request for payment is at the MPCA office.  Clerk J. Pohlman will check on the status.
  • Clerk J. Pohlman will look into extension of the grant.




A Newsletter will be prepared and sent soon covering the Financial Plan and Construction Schedule.


M. White has sent requested information to the bill collector contacted for the amount owed to the District by the Crane Lake Property Owners for Common Sense.  When a contract is received, the Board will proceed.


A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to pay the following bills:  VTSI – $1,017.71; Cope & Peterson – $2,578.19; and MPCA Permit – $505.00.  Motion carried.




Ruth Carlson suggested that the Newsletter include the Public Hearing date, time, and location.  She also agreed that sending information packets to the Board by Monday prior to meetings was a good idea.


Ruth Carlson also asked if there was any other way to get information to people other than newsletters as they complain about not knowing what is going on.


Stewart McKie said that homeowners would like to have specs on grinder pump connections.




There being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 9:15 P.M.



J. Pohlman






Crane Lake Water & Sanitary District
P.O. Box 306 · Crane Lake, Minnesota 55725
© 2001 CLWSD