CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
March 3, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:33P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adams and Bill Congdon
Also present: Engineer Randy Jenniges of S.E.H., Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of February 2, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. February 2011 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $803.48 and Operations – $1,635.49. The January 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of February 2011 bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $2,035.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $1,031.24; Glorvigen – $250.00; Lutefisk – $173.88 and Quill – $129.20. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,237.37, $90.28, $56.50 & $95.49; A-1 Services – $1,960.00; Canoe Country Electric $220.00 & $815.00; Gopher State One Call – $100.00; Minnesota Revenue – $505.00; NTS – $714.50; and Terry’s Operational Services – $20.22 & $1,509.00. Operating Reserve: Electric Pump – $515.97. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $658.16 to the Department of Employment, or $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept. Payment will be made toU.S.A., Inc. for $104,422.48 & $33,550.48 and to S.E.H., Inc. for $7,770.00 & $11,655.00 upon receipt of funding as approved at the January 5th meeting.
Rate Schedule Report: Rates will be reviewed again at the April meeting.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
- Insurance Claim: Payroll expenditures related to the insurance claim were submitted to LMC for consideration. The claim has not been closed at this time.
- T. Jackson Contract Renewal: The contract was adjusted by Fryberger Buchanan before final approval. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, approving the T. Jackson Contract. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Flood Insurance: The Board considered flood insurance for the plant this spring. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, approving purchase of flood insurance, if the premium is reasonable and T. Jackson and Jim Pohlman are in agreement of its necessity. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Volume Charge Billing: The District has been using a variable multiplier to convert the hourly meter readings to gallons based on the gallons recorded at the lift station each month for the customer billing. The Board discussed using an average of the multipliers used for the past seven years in the future. A motion was made by M. Anderson to use 720 as the multiplier. The motion died for lack of support. There was further discussion. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Scott, to use the average multiplier of 730. R. Scott and D. Scott voted in favor; M. Anderson voted against. The motion carried.
- Mediation: The judge assigned to the mediation is on vacation. A date will be set upon his return.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – March 3, 2011
- The VNP Clean Waters Joint Powers Board monthly meeting was held on February 10, 2011. R. Scott was appointed as the Crane Lake Township representative to the Citizen’s Advisory Group that supports the IJC Rainy Lake and Lake of the Woods Watershed Task Force. The Task Force is working on consolidating the water quality issues emerging within the Rainy Lake and Namakan Basins. Ash River continues to work towards organizing a sewer district; the Island View Sanitary Sewer Project design is 95% complete; Kabetogama continues to improve the flow of information to individuals within and outside their project area. Funding efforts continue.
Collection System Expansion
- Funding Status: Funding to pay the current expansion bills was approved by the JPB at their January meeting. A Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) form was forwarded to the Board for signature and return approving the $150,000 draw. S.E.H. is working to speed the funding process along.
- Construction Update: Construction will continue in the spring.
- Expansion Fees: R. Scott and Jo Ann Pohlman will review fees and forms related to the expansion to present to the Board for review.
S.E.H. ESA Proposal
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. and the Board discussed the different service areas within the Eastern Service Area. S.E.H. will provide an updated approach using the information provided in previous studies and with information from the ESA Advisory Committee.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit.
- Culvert: The Board discussed options to prevent freezing of the pipes that cross the new culvert.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reported that the problem with the elevated TSS of the effluent is resolved.
- Electrical Component Failures: Pump #1 at the main lift station failed; a new overload relay has been ordered. Effluent pump #2 at the plant failed; a new overload relay and control switch have been ordered. Dave Beckmann’s grinder failed; the control box was replaced.
- Annual Biosolids Report: The annual report was received by the MPCA with all appropriate information provided.
- Additional Maintenance Personnel: Randy Clemmer has been hired by the District as a sewer maintenance worker.
- MPCA Award: The District is again the recipient of a Certificate of Commendation for outstanding operation, maintenance and management of the wastewater treatment system. The MPCA will present the certificate to T. Jackson at the 74th Annual Wastewater Operations Conference on March 24th in Brooklyn Park, MN. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by R. Scott, to assist with expenses for Terry and Anne to attend the conference in an amount not to exceed $150.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Lift Station Calibration: The Board will ask T. Jackson to review the cost and necessity of calibrating the lift station every year.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: APRIL 6, 2011, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.