CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
May 2, 2012 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Darrell Scott & Rob Scott
Members absent: Bill Congdon
Also present: Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Opening Comments: Chairman Scott stated that the agenda would be re-arranged to accommodate a phone conference with Randy Jenniges of S.E.H.
- Randy Jenniges joined the meeting via telephone.
- Easements: There are three outstanding easements. Randy asked that Board members contact those individuals to expedite the process.
- Handberg Road Expansion: Randy is working on the Technical Assistance Grant Program with the Public Facilities Authority (PFA) as a funding source for engineering reports and environmental services for future expansion. This will also be addressed at the JPB meeting by Rob Scott.
- DNR Landing & DNR RV Campground: There was no new information.
- CSAH 24 Grinder Tanks: Property owners are finding that the tanks were backfilled with rock and clay rather than sand causing expense issues for the property owners attempting to hookup to the system. Randy stated that the specs do state that there would be a 4 foot extension from the tank for customer hookup and that use of available backfill including rocks up to six inches in diameter would be used above the extension. Sand only would not support the tanks properly. Randy will talk to contractors doing remaining hookup work so they are aware of the tank specifications. Randy assured the Board that there would not be negative issues related to backfill method on future projects.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of April 4, 2012. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. April 2012 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $740.50 and Operations – $2,104.98. The March 2012 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. The first quarter QuickBooks entries were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. Her comments comparing the first quarter of 2012 to the first quarter of 2011 were as follows: Admin Fund much improved from the previous year. Operating Fund expenses were up from the previous year due to reimbursable culvert expenses. Special Assessment Revenue Fund is down due to increased loan interest payment to RD. Total checking and savings balances are down from the previous year due to the issues that the District has been facing rather than excessive expenditure. She cautioned the Board that the District would soon be out of cash if this trend continues. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,324.20. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,312.53, $248.78, $54.40, $86.47 & $87.00; Citi-Lites – $100.00; Gopher State One Call – $2.90; Hawkins – $1,238.55; Dept. of Employment & Economic Development – $831.29; Pace Analytical – $280.00; Ziegler Cat – $1,170.28; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,217.37. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
USDA-RD Debt Service and Forecast Revenues/Expenses: The District will continue discussion with USDA-RD.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – May 2, 2012
Treasurer/Accountant Report (Cont.)
Culvert Invoices: St. Louis County deposited $20,308.68 into the District’s bank account as reimbursement for submitted culvert expenses. R. Scott will discuss the remaining culvert expenses not covered by the County to the JPB Board at their next meeting.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: It is anticipated that Mike Ward of the VNP, Scott Kelling and Ron Potter of the MN DNR, a representative from USDA-RD and the St. Louis County ISTS inspector will attend the upcoming meeting. R. Scott will request funds for excess culvert expenses and expansion overrun costs. Both St. Louis and Koochiching Counties will be requested to add the JPB to their budgets as a line item. Four point papers were presented to Tim Olson of Chip Cravaack’s office at the Town Hall Meeting on 4/28/12 addressing USDA-RD loan debt relief, funding support for the Water Resources Development Act (WARDA) FY14, JPB Planning and engineering support funds, and a Crane Lake VNP community presence. These papers will be discussed with the RD & DNR representatives prior to the JPB meeting to bring them up to speed on current issues.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: There was no update.
- CLVFD High Speed Internet: The Crane Lake Volunteer Fire Department requested monetary support from the CLWSD in their effort to acquire high speed internet for Fire Hall and Fellowship Hall use. The District declined, not seeing a potential use at this time; but would support when and if the need became available. A letter will be written to the CLVFD with a copy to the Township.
- Mediation with RLK: A mediation date has been set for June 13, 2012 at the Fryberger, Buchanan office at 9A.M. There is a possibility of a pre-meeting with council.
- VLD Letter: There has been no response to the District’s letter to VLD’s attorney. The item will be removed from the agenda.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report.
- Effluent standards were maintained during the month of April.
- The plant is being converted to summer mode. Polymer addition will be initiated in May.
- A-1 Services will be disposing sludge in May or June and will also jet out the recirculation zone laterals as agreed last year.
- T. Jackson sent a letter to St. Louis County Commissioner Mike Forsman regarding the box culvert project and depth of the 6-inch discharge line requesting a County resolution to the issue.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:25PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JUNE 6, 2012, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.