CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
May 4, 2005 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Michael White at 7:35 P.M.
Members present: Managers Bud Bystrom, Deena Congdon, Darrell Scott, Rob Scott, and Michael White.
Members absent: None.
Also present: Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto, Jim Pohlman of NTS, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, and reporters from the Cook News-Herald and the Voyageur Sentinel. There were no members of the community present.
A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of April 20, 2005 and the Special Meeting of April 27, 2005. Motion carried.
The correspondence was presented to the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. Motion carried.
M. White Reviewed the Treasurer’s Report and presented the invoices on hand for payment approval. A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by R. Scott, to approve the following invoices for payment: Administrative: V.T.S.I. – $1,658.75; Quill – $141.85; RLK-Kuusisto – $2,685.00; M.J. White – $62.40 and Costin Group – $750.00. Plant Operations: Hawkins – $321.52 and Lake Country Power – $41.05 and $6.77.36. Gold Coast Project: RLK-Kuusisto – $4,236.25. Motion carried.
RLK-Kuusisto Project Status Report
- Corrective Actions/Collection System: The line to the Terrie Hoff property is thawed and the grinder pump will be replaced when guide rails are received from Quality Flow. RLK has requested information and price quotes on insulation of air release structures. They will consider insulating the pipes within the manholes and insulating inside and outside of the manholes. They still are waiting for a response from the Contractor on grinder pump problems.
- Recording of Plat: There is an issue with some of the parcel code numbers that will be addressed before recording the plat next week.
- MPCA Project Priority List: RLK presented the revised Preliminary Engineering Report to the Board and a form to be submitted for the Project Priority List. M. White noted that the form format was from February of 2002 and requested that RLK see if there was a more recent format. The Board discussed splitting the project into two separate projects for presentation to the MPCA to increase the potential ranking. Jim Pucel will communicate with Brett Balavance of the MPCA for his opinion. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Congdon, authorizing Mike White to sign the drafted submittal letter, if the timeline for submittal cannot be extended. Motion carried.
- Voyagaire Road: The rock has been placed on Voyagaire Lodge’s entrances.
- Wells: The Board requested that RLK contact Kolstad to inspect the Tufte and the Mohr wells as soon as possible. A letter will be written to Peterson Well Drilling, with a copy to the Minnesota Department of Health, requesting a plan schedule for the Zullick well work.
NTS Project Status Report
- Jim Pohlman reported that he had a new license tag for the portable generator but no license. Jim Pucel will supply the license plate.
- All plant reports are good.
- Jim Pohlman has the new electrical wire for the Allan McKie property and will install it.
- Jim will also communicate with Quality Flow regarding Terrie Hoff’s grinder pump replacement.
NTS Project Status Report (Cont.)
- Grinder Station/Pipeline Maintenance: Eight individual grinder pump stations have been inspected and tested with all being in good condition. The inspections of all grinder pump stations will continue.
- Crane Lake Sign: Jim Pucel will send the placement map to Mike White.
- Monitoring Equipment Status: The dissolved oxygen monitoring system should be received any day. The flow meter will be here within six weeks.
- Preventive Annual Maintenance Plan: Mike Appelwick and RLK will review manufacturer equipment specs to assist in plan creation.
- Management Reports: Mike Appelwick agrees with the management report outline.
Continuous Operation Plan
- The KECO pump trailer tank system has been ordered with an end of May delivery time. Arrangements have been made for interim emergency backup.
On-site Systems – Management District Meeting
- M. White summarized his understanding of the Management District Meeting held on April 28th with Brett Ballavance of the MPCA, Gary Cerkvenik of Costin Group, Valorie Prax of the U of M Extension Division and himself.
- Steps involved in establishing a Management District include: 1) Identify properties to be included. 2) Inspect and evaluate existing systems within the Management District and identify those systems classified as “Imminent Health Threats”. 3) Develop a plan covering required maintenance and include a system replacement schedule. 4) Determine funding requirements and develop a financial plan. 5) Approve establishment of a Management District and implement an On-site Systems Plan.
- A copy of the Capacity Allocation Plan was presented to Brett Ballavance for review.
- RLK and NTS are currently investigating the potential of including the Nelson’s Resort treatment system within the authority of the CLWSD.
- Houseboats are under the jurisdiction of the MPCA and related questions will be referred to the MPCA.
- The revised ESA Preliminary Engineering Report is compatible with the establishment of a Management District.
Standard Procedures – Environmental Financial Group
- Scott Harder of EFG is in the process of completing the necessary documents for Board review and action.
- R. Scott requested that EFG be included on the Agenda for each meeting as a report item similar to RLK and NTS.
Manager Training Date
- The date for manager training with the Minnesota Rural Water Association has been set for May 12th at 7PM at the Fellowship Hall. The Town Board members have been invited to attend.
Terrie Hoff will have 2004 information ready for the auditors by next week.
A letter will be written to Scott Harder of EFG to follow up on Rob Scott’s Special Assessment adjustment.
A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Congdon to approve Pay Estimate No. 15 in the amount of $8,369.50. Motion carried.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None
There being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 8:35PM
J. Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: MAY 18, 2005, AT THE CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL AT 7:30 P.M.