CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
May 4, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adams
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of April 6, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. April 2011 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $700.00 and Operations – $1,494.48. The first quarter 2011 Quick Books entries were reviewed by Jennifer of Glorvigen. The March 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of April 2011 bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $2,095.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $191.25; Lutefisk Tech. – $21.25; Rob Scott – $196.61 and S.E.H. – $3,819.00. ESA: Citi Lites – $50.00 and Gopher State One Call – $1.45. Operating Reserve Fund: Quality Flow – $5,694.13. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,167.87, $87.34, $51.29 & $86.18; Randy Clemmer – $270.00; William Congdon – $50.00; Dept. of Employment – $164.54; Hawkins – $1,073.70; Pace Analytical – $516.00; Quality Flow – $175.62 & $278.20; Teledyne – $121.30; USABlue Book – $241.13; VHB – $50.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,217.31. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve a fund transfer from the Operating Fund to the Capital Reserve Fund for pump payment and a fund transfer from the Special Assessment Revenue Savings to the Operating Fund up to $24,000.00 as needed for bill payment. This amount had been transferred from the Operating Fund to S.A.R. Savings over the past few years. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
- Additional Maintenance Personnel: The District continues to review.
- Manager Position: Written confirmation has been received from Dave Adams that he would like to resign from the Board. The Town Board has posted and published the position opening with a decision to be made at their May meeting.
- Ordinance Review: The Board is currently reviewing updates to Ordinances 1 & 3 received from the District Attorneys.
- Permits – Sewer Connections: A permit application for sewer service connection is being reviewed. The Board did not feel that a contractor’s sewer connection license will be necessary for this portion of the ESA expansion.
- Costin Group Contract: The contract will be reviewed in January.
- Mediation: The judge assigned to the mediation is still on vacation. A date will be set upon his return.
- Corcoran Letter: The letter regarding Special Assessment has been sent to the District Attorneys.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – May 4, 2011
- VNP Clean Waters Project: The JPB held its monthly meeting in April. Work on the Comprehensive Plan continues. Ash River continues to work on sewer organization, Kabetogama is looking for funding for their treatment plan, Koochiching County Island View extension is waiting for funding. The JPB is planning on holding their monthly meetings at each of the areas represented. The May meeting will be held in Kabetogama.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: The spring phase of construction has begun
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H, discussed the expansion with the Board via telephone at the meeting.
- Inspection Fees were discussed and it was decided that photos would be taken by a Board member or maintenance worker to be sent to Randy Jenniges for approval. The fee for this service will be $100.
- Pay Request: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson to approve Application for Payment No. 3 for Utility Systems of America, Inc. in the amount of $28,151.63. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Comprehensive Plan Work: A map of planned expansion areas was sent to the Board by S.E.H. for consideration in April.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit. Spring infiltration has increased.
- Culvert: The Board is working with the County to arrive at a solution to prevent freezing of the main lines crossing the culvert.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reported that all effluent limitations were met during the month of April.
- RFP’s were sent to three contractors for hauling sludge from the wastewater facility to the Virginia Wastewater Treatment Plant. Two bids were received. Viita’s Excavating – $165.00 per 1,000 gallons and A-1 Sewer Services – $122.50 per 1,000 gallons. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson to select A-1 Sewer Services for sludge hauling. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Effluent Pump #2 at the plant was replaced with a new pump by Quality Flow Systems.
- Wheeler Letter: Ms. Wheeler’s letter stating that she believes the water should be tested for the safety of residents along the southwest shore of Crane Lake will be sent to Terry Jackson for his opinion.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JUNE 1, 2011, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.