CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
May 5, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adams, Mark Anderson.
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a representative from the Cook News-Herald.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of April 7, 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. April payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $814.78 and Operations – $1,503.14. The first quarter District books were reviewed by Jennifer Hanson-Goulet of Glorvigen. The March 2010 financial statements, presented to the Board and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,214.00 & $1,198.00; Fryberger, et al – $1,943.98 & $501.26. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,149.42, $84.01, $58.95 & $104.88; Citi Lites – $100.00; Ely Utilities Commission – $540.00; Gopher State One Call – $2.90; Hawkins – $1,085.65; Minnesota Revenue – $505.00; Darrell Scott – $20.00; Rutchasky Enterprises – $4,865.74 & $520.00; Dept. of Employment – $939.45; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,350.00. There was discussion regarding the Dept. of Employment invoice. J. Pohlman will follow up and validate the invoice and pay. If not valid, the issue will be brought back to the Board of review. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Initial Installation Review – Ordinance 3: Ordinance 3 will need to be reviewed as the District expands into the Eastern Service Area. Options provided by Mia Thibodeau of Fryberger, et al include: Establish a hook-up fee with no assessment or levy an assessment on each benefited property in the new service area.
- Mediation: The District and RLK have agreed on a mediator for the dispute. Mediation has been scheduled for July 26th.
- The monthly meetings of the Namakan Basin Joint Powers Board (JPB) and the VNP Clean Water Joint Powers Board (JPB) were held at the Cook Land Department on April 15, 2010. Julie Kennedy of S.E.H. Engineering reported that 90% of the Comprehensive Plan cost estimates were complete. A draft of the Comprehensive Plan is scheduled for presentation at the May meeting. There was not a quorum present for the VNP Clean Water JPB meeting so there was discussion only.
Collection System Expansion
- Funding: $100,000 of taconite surplus funds have been approved for the District.
- Engineering Design: S.E.H. will be here for design discussion on May 18th or 19th.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: No discussion.
- VLD Pump Removal Plan: The grinder stations have been removed by Rutchasky Enterprises.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: Corrective action will begin with the Hamblin, Beckmann and Pine Point stations.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – May 5, 2010
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report stating that all effluent limitations established by EPA and MPCA were met during March.
- Recirculation Pump: The new recirculation ABS dry pit pump continues to operate well.
- The prototype flange received from a plumbing contractor to connect the 4” lateral lines to the grinder lift stations works perfectly and will be used to correct most I & I problems. Repair of lift stations will begin.
- Northeast Tech. was contacted to request eliminating the analysis of sludge at every disposal. Request was denied.
- MPCA conducted their annual inspection of the plant on 4/28/10. The MPCA requires that the facility be inspected on a daily basis. Daily Monitoring Reports will be filed at the Crane Lake office.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JUNE 2, 2010, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.