CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
November 3, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE FIRE HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adam.
Also present: Project Engineer Randy Jenniges of S.E.H., Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald. Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne Jackson arrived later during the meeting.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of October 6, 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. October payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $926.31 and Operations – $1,614.14. Hard copies of the 2009 Audit were received from Glorvigen and distributed to the Board. The District accounting system has been updated to reflect the audit. The 2010 3rd Quarter books have been reviewed by Glorvigen. The September 2010 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. Approval for a fund transfer from G.C. Operating to Capital Reserve was requested to pay for a new pump for the plant. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to transfer $5,000 from the Operating Fund to the Capital Reserve Fund. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Fryberger, et al – $414.00; American Express – $293.91; LMCIT – $80.00 & $1,159.00; and St. Louis County – $1,159.00. ESA: Braun Intertec – $2,500.00 and Citi Lites – $100.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $440.39, $83.14, $24.05 & $24.05; Canoe Country Electric – $1,477.00; Citi Lites – $50.00; Crane Lake Lawn Care – $250.00; Gopher State One Call – $8.70; Hawkins – $880.02 & $935.65; Indelco – $3,378.58; Jim Pohlman – $24.91; LMCIT – $807.00 & $3,621.00; Nelson’s Resort – $19.00; NTS – $276.50; and Terry’s Operational Services – $25.00 & $1,080.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $252.81 to the Department of Employment or $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept.
Rate Schedule Report: The Board will continue to review with decisions expected at the December meeting.
Surveys: EDU survey letters were sent to WSA community members with the July billing for signature and return. Reminders were sent with the August, September & October billings to those that have not responded. A fourth reminder will be sent with the November billing to the few remaining that have not responded.
- VLD Special Assessments: St. Louis County will redistribute the Special Assessments in January, 2011. The issue is closed.
- Insurance Claim: Invoices pertaining to lightning damage to equipment at the treatment plant that have been received will be submitted to Allied Adjusters. Any other applicable invoices will be forwarded to Allied Adjusters as received.
- Delinquent Accounts: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to adopt Resolution No. 2010-04 certifying unpaid and delinquent charges of benefited property owners to the St. Louis County Auditor for collection as other taxes are collected as listed on Exhibit A. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- USDA-RD 2010 Facility Inspection: A letter was sent to Dennis Tabbert, USDA-RD providing requested financial information related to the 2010 facility inspection. The District’s response included the statement that without additional sources of revenue, the District estimates that payments can be made through 2014 and only a partial payment in 2015.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – November 3, 2010
- Mediation: S.E.H. Engineer Don Lutch has communicated is findings to Fryberger. That communication will be provided to RLK. A mediation date is now anticipated in January.
- Seigley Driveway: An email was received from Mr. Seigley requesting the District’s help in resolving his ongoing driveway issue with RLK. Fryberger is reviewing Mr. Seigley’s request to include his driveway issue with RLK in the District’s mediation with RLK.
- The VNP Clean Waters Joint Powers Board October meeting was not held due to a lack of quorum. The Comprehensive Plan has been received. An Executive Summary of the Plan will be distributed to the Board.
- Ash River Trail Meeting: A meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, November 10th, 11AM, at Ash Trail Lodge as part of the VNP Clean Waters Project. They are looking to establish a governing entity in the Ash River Trail area and feel that a CLWSD Board member’s presence would be helpful.
Collection System Expansion
- Construction: Construction began on November 3rd.
- Easements: Temporary easements were sent to affected property owners for temporary access to their property to install the grinders. Permanent easements will be written after installation.
- Additional Connections: More funding will be needed to go beyond the project bid area. Randy Jenniges will provide estimates on costs to go beyond Anderson Outfitters.
- Future Expansion: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve S.E.H. providing a proposal to research future expansion and the spending of future funding, should it be received. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Culvert: The Board discussed concern of forcemain freezing at the new culvert on Gold Coast Road. Randy Jenniges will address the issue immediately.
- Letter Agreement between CLWSD and S.E.H.: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to sign the Letter Agreement proposal between the CLWSD and S.E.H. for professional engineering services for the ESA CSAH 24 Extension for $25,900.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Agreement between CLWSD and U.S.A.: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Congdon, to sign the Agreement between the CLWSD and Utility Systems of America, Inc. for the construction work for the ESA CSAH 24 Extension for the bid amount of $228,117.50. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: Jim will continue the work.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- T. Jackson reported that all state standards were maintained during October.
- Culvert: The temporary forcemain will be replaced next week.
- Zone Valves: The new electric actuator valves for the filter recirculation have been installed. A lightning arrestor will be installed as a preventative measure.
- Recirculation Pump: The pump has been ordered and should be delivered within three weeks.
- Alarm Issue: Pine Point encountered alarm problems at their station. Their station is currently shut down for the winter; the issue will be addressed in the spring.
- Stowage Building: The two 165 gallon storage tanks for aluminum sulfate have bee delivered to the plant. They will be utilized for storage and pumping of alum.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:15PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: DECEMBER 1, 2010, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.