CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
October 19, 2009 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Manager Dave Adams.
Also present: Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne Jackson, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a representative from the Cook News-Herald.
Opening Comments: Condolences were extended to Ruth L. Carlson and the family of Mike White for the loss of Mike White. Mike served on the Board for many years; his contributions and insights will be greatly missed.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of September 14, 2009. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. September payroll expenses were as follows and include 3rd Quarter tax payments: Administrative – $902.77 and Operations – $3,084.64. The Freeze09 Claim check for $10,413.55 has been received from Allied Adjusters and the GC Operating Fund has been adjusted to reflect the reimbursement. The August 2009 financial statements were presented to the Board and invoices-on-hand were reviewed. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Fryberger, et al – $1,971.00; Glorvigen – $5,115.00; and League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust – $1,493.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $243.40, $117.37; $21.38 & $21.38; Gopher State One Call – $4.35; Hawkins – $1,082.44; LMCIT – $4,188.00; Nelson’s – $18.00; Quality Flow – $1,041.01; Jim Pohlman (Teledyne) – $117.95; Rutchasky Enterprises – $7,979.72; Ziegler – $1,115.97 and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,395.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- 2008/09 Rate Review: A motion was made by B. Congdon to reduce the base rate by $10 effective with the November billing. The motion died for lack of support.
- Service Connection Procedures & Interim Connection Billing: The amended copy of Ordinance #3 was received from Fryberger, et al. Responsibility by the applicant for the lateral beyond 50 feet, omitted by Fryberger, will be included. The changes to the Ordinance were approved at the July meeting.
- Insurance Claim 2009: The reimbursement check for Freeze09 has been received from Allied Adjusters and the claim has been closed out. A thank-you letter will be sent to Allied Adjusters for their support throughout the District’s freezing issues.
- Kristi Wheeler Billing Request: Ms. Wheeler’s letter of 8/25/09 asked if sewer rates could be adjusted for the disabled. The Fryberger, et al response to Ms. Wheeler’s request is that the District Ordinances do not provide rate reductions for the disabled. A letter will be sent to Ms. Wheeler advising her of the District’s position.
- CLWSD Board Appointments: The Township will be requested to post notices in designated posting places and in the newspaper to fill the vacant Board position.
- Delinquent Accounts: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to send a notice of delinquency to applicable accounts. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- VLD Billing: The Board discussed crediting the VLD account for all but one EDU beginning with the June billing. The VLD account has been adjusted from 15 to 4 EDU’s beginning with the June 09 billing; reflecting the number of tanks in the ground on their property. The Board agreed that the VLD account could not be credited for grinder tanks that are in the ground without doing so for other accounts. VLD has requested that the 3 unused grinder tanks be removed from their property. This will be done with a reduction of their EDU’s from 4 to 1 beginning with the October billing.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – October 19, 2009
USDA-RD Debt Service Update
- A decision on District debt relief has not been received from USDA-RD.
- The monthly meeting of the Namakan Basin Joint Powers Board (JPB) was held at the Cook Land Department on September 24, 2009. Julie Kennedy of S.E.H. Engineering provided an update on the JPB Comprehensive Plan. She is compiling the data base information to complete the individual surveys to be mailed soon. Ms. Kennedy is scheduled to attend the October 20th Crane Lake Town Board of Supervisors’ Meeting to provide an overview of the project. The JPB will be called the VNP Clean Water Joint Powers Board and meetings will be scheduled on the same date as the Namakan Basin JPB meeting; their first organizational meeting will be on October 22nd. Gary Cerkvenik provided an update on funding applications for the project. IRRB approval for $50,000 in planning funds is anticipated. $450,000 in additional planning funds is expected from the US Army Corps of Engineers 569 Grant Program as is $285,000 from State Bonding funds. Interest for inclusion in the comprehensive plan has been received from outside the planned area. Commissioner Nelson advised that the JPB keep the scope of the project as originally outlined and then move forward with additional add on phases as needed.
- Corrective Action Status: Three redundant air relief valves have been removed and the remaining corrective action work should be completed within the next two weeks.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: A priority list for infiltration corrective action has been provided to Terry Jackson and Rutchasky Enterprises. A cost estimate for each tank will be provided by Rutchasky Enterprises to help in determining how many will be addressed this fall. A prototype of the SEH specified bulkhead fittings and ferncos for the grinder stations has been received. They will be ordered after confirmation that they meet the Engineer’s specifications has been received.
- VLD Pump Removal Request: The three unused grinder tanks on the VLD property will be removed.
- Interim Connections: There was no discussion.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reported that all State and Federal effluent limitations were met during the month of September. There appeared to be more incidences of dense solids coming into the plant during the summer. Acceleration of sludge pumping is planned and other fine tuning will be necessary.
- Terry will meet with the MPCA to inspect the plant.
- Winterization of the system has begun. Hay will be placed on grinder stations of properties with full use and off/on use during the winter.
- It was agreed that a back up system for responding to Gopher State One Call locates needs to be devised.
- Additional Maintenance Personnel: Terry suggested hiring someone to do lawn maintenance next spring.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: NOVEMBER 4, 2009, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.