CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS REGULAR MEETING
October 6, 2004 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Michael White at 7:32 P.M.
Members present: Managers Bud Bystrom, Deena Congdon, Darrell Scott, Rob Scott and Michael White.
Members Absent: None.
Also present: Jim Pucel of RLK Kuusisto, Mike Appelwick of NTS, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, reporters from the Cook News-Herald and the Voyageur Sentinel, and 1 member of the community.
Motion by D. Scott, supported by R. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of September 15, 2004. Motion carried.
M. White reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Bystrom, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and to pay the following Administrative bills: RVS Software – $51.46; ElyMinnesota – $102.22; Quill – $271.33; League of MN Cities (Dues) – $1,194.00 and League of MN Cities (Insurance) – $2,132.00 and the following Project bills: RLK-Kuusisto – $11,586.69 and $3,303.17; Cope & Peterson – $1,943.15 and $1653.75; NTS – $807.50, $2,325.00, $3,852.89 and $732.50; EFG – $750.00; and Lake Country Power – $35.14 and $184.18. Motion carried.
The correspondence was presented to the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. Motion carried.
RLK-Kuusisto Project Status Report
- MDH – Six pump stations and two main line sections have been moved to date. The five properties with stipulation agreements have been contacted and their signatures are anticipated. The MDH will be sending the agreements to those properties. Two well issues and pressure testing of one grinder pump remain. Sandra Beck may be here on Friday for inspection.
- Service Connections – 53 property owner connections have been completed to date.
- Abandonments – J. Pucel is monitoring the abandonments including those properties with partial hook-ups to date. A report will follow from J. Pucel.
- Easements – J. Pucel said there would be one easement change as a result of the MDH work. Recording of the plat will be completed after MDH work is done.
- Project Completion – J. Pucel provided a draft of project completion items.
- Floor Flood Alarms and Electric Valve Changes – J. Pucel presented a Change Order request for these items, which were added to the Treatment Plant System. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Scott, to approve Change Order No. 4 for the Wastewater Treatment System in the amount of $6,532.00. Motion carried.
- Plant Influent Meter – A letter was received from the MPCA stating that an influent meter for continuous influent monitoring must be installed at the Wastewater Treatment Plant. Influent is currently being monitored on a daily basis, which was thought to be sufficient. We are waiting for a cost estimate on the meter.
NTS – Operating Agreement
- Meter Reading – M. Appelwick will have a recommendation at the next meeting.
- Contract Status – M. Appelwick will consider presenting the current agreement with an addendum regarding remote monitoring to the Board.
- R. Scott voiced his concern of additional expenses that may be anticipated. M. Appelwick said a gate valve and a pump are possible additional expenses. He assured the Board that in his past experience initial adjustments are expected and they will be made within the first few months.
NTS – Operating Agreement – Cont.)
- M. Appelwick presented a list of issues of concern related to plant operations and indicated he will follow up on each item. He indicated he is pleased with the plant performance to-date and the MPCA discharge standards were met within the first few days after start up. M. Appelwick stated that he is also pleased with Jim Pohlman’s performance to-date through the start-up period.
- M. Appelwick presented a Preliminary Monthly Operational Report to the Board. R. Scott requested that the Board receive this report prior to the meeting in the future.
- D. Congdon raised the question of winterizing grinder pumps that are not in use during the winter season. J. Pucel has information on what should be done from Quality Control. NTS and RLK will present their recommendation at the next meeting.
- RLK will provide O & M manuals for NTS and the Board.
Rate Ordinance Status
- M. White reported that he has spoken to Mary Frances Skala of Fryberger. She has everything she needs to write the ordinance. We should have the ordinance by the next meeting.
Accounting System Status Report (2003-04)
- More information is needed from Minnesota Rural Water to complete the 2003 financial statements. The financial statements should be complete by the next meeting.
- D. Congdon plans to have the new accounting system in place soon and will work with the Glorvigen firm in accomplishing the initial system start-up.
Property Owner Requirements
- Lorin Bergemann – Mr. Bergemann’s written request for a time extension for hook-up to the system was considered by the Board. The Board agreed that Mr. Bergemann should hook-up within the 90 day requirement. M. White will respond to Mr. Bergemann.
- Stuart McKie – Stuart McKie’s letter was responded to prior to the meeting. An additional request by Mary McKie was received in an email today asking if Allen McKie was notified of his inclusion on the Agenda for tonight’s meeting. M. White will respond.
- Allen McKie – Mr. McKie has denied easement access for hook-up to the system. The history of correspondence and conversations with Mr. McKie was reviewed. The ordinance requires that all properties within 300 feet of the main line hook-up to the system within 90 days. D. Congdon will contact Alicia Cope of Cope & Peterson for all available information regarding the McKie easement. A letter will be written to Mr. McKie after all legal advice is received.
- M. White has spoken to Gary Cerkvenik, a government relations specialist, for a forecast proposal for the ESA.
- Mr. Cerkvenik will provide a proposal to review the ESA plan, to work with the County regarding their requirements, and to look at available funding.
- The Board discussed snow removal options for White Pine Way and the plant site.
- B. Bystrom will contact the County for a cost estimate and report to the Board at the next meeting.
A letter was received from RLK today addressing the EDU assignments for houseboats. The Board will need time to review these calculations before comment.
Sodding, seeding, and paving will be completed by the end of the month.
PUBLIC COMMENT – There was none.
There being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 9:10P.M.
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 20, 2004, AT THE CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL AT 7:30 P.M.