CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
October 6, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE FIRE HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adam.
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob Scott advised the Board that Julie Kennedy of S.E.H. would be attending the Collection System Expansion portion of the meeting via telephone between 7:45 and 8:00PM.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of September 1, 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. September payroll expenses, including quarterly payroll taxes, were as follows: Administrative – $1,407.32 and Operations – $2,985.71. The August 2010 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve transfer of $4,000.00 from the Operating Fund to the Debt Service Savings Account. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $2,000.00; Fryberger, et al – $1,886.15 and League of MN Cities – $1,485.00. ESA: CNH – $35.00; Finance and Commerce – $206.31; Citi-Lites – $75.00; Rutchasky Enterprises – $920.00 and S.E.H. – $885.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $447.22; $97.88, $24.05 & $24.05; A-1 Services – $1,455.00; Citi-Lites – $50.00, $425.00 & $225.00; City of Virginia – $2,100.00; Gopher State One Call – $1.45; Hawkins – $1,275.46; NTS – $371.50; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,350.00 & $25.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $249.81 to the Department of Employment or $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept. B. Congdon and M. Anderson will contact County Commissioners regarding the County Public Works bill.
Rate Schedule Report: The Board will continue to review with decisions expected at the December meeting.
Surveys: EDU survey letters were sent to WSA community members with the July billing for signature and return. Reminders were sent with the August & September billings to those that have not responded. A third reminder will be sent with the October billing to the few remaining that have not responded.
- VLD Special Assessments: St. Louis County will redistribute the Special Assessments in January, 2011.
- Insurance Claim: Invoices pertaining to lightning damage to equipment at the treatment plant will be submitted to Allied Adjusters when received.
- Notices of Delinquency: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to send notices of delinquency to applicable accounts. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Mediation: S.E.H. will provide engineering mediation related information to the CLWSD attorneys. A mediation date is anticipated in November.
- The VNP Clean Waters Joint Powers Board met in September. A representative from Voyageurs National Park will be attending future meetings. Ash River will begin pre-organization activity. The ongoing funding requests continue with the main focus on the request for funding via the WRDA II authorization bill.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – October 6, 2010
Collection System Expansion
- Bid Process: (Julie Kennedy of S.E.H. spoke to the Board via telephone.) The project was re-bid on Thursday, September 30th at 11:00AM. The lowest, responsible bid based on the Base Bid was Utility Systems of America (USA) at $228,117.50. Ms. Kennedy recommended the Board adopt a resolution awarding the bid to USA. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to adopt Resolution No. 2010-03 accepting the bid received from USA and authorizing the CLWSD to enter into a contract with USA for the 2010 CSAH 24 Extension according to the plans and specifications.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: A representative from Citi-Lites met with Jim to locate the laterals that were identified. Tracer wires were not found. Jim will continue the work at the Chapel and the Fire Hall.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed the Operations Report with the Board stating that all effluent limitations were maintained in September and that preparation for winter operation had begun.
- Road Repair: The road to the WWTP has been repaired.
- Zone Valves: The valves are on order.
- Stowage Building: The most cost effective way to store alum at the plant is to install two 165 gallon tanks under the stairwell at the plant rather than a new building. The tanks have been ordered.
- Plant Inspection: T. Jackson met with USDA-RD on October 6th for the annual inspection of the plant.
- Culvert Replacement: T. Jackson worked with Landwehr Construction for the culvert replacement.
- Test Digging: Test digging was performed in the CSAH 24 Extension area.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 6, 2010, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.