CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
October 7, 2008 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:34P.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Managers Dave Adams and Mike White.
Also present: Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a representative from the Voyageur Sentinel. Gary Cerkvenik of The Costin Group arrived at 7:45PM and Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman arrived at 8:20PM.
Opening Comments: R. Scott mentioned that the date change for this meeting from October 1st to the 7th was due to a lack of quorum. The Board sends best wishes to Mike White who is in hospital. Mia Peterson, attorney at Fryberger, Buchanan is now Mia Thibodeau. Congratulations Mia!
A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of September 3, 2008. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The correspondence was presented to the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. September payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $627.90 and Operations – $1,683.15. The quarterly transfer of $4,000.00 from the G. C. Operating Fund to the Debt Fund and then to Savings was done. The August 2008 financial statements reviewed by Jennifer Hanson-Goulet of Glorvigen were presented to the Board. Invoices-on-hand were reviewed with the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Glorvigen – $100.00; Fryberger, et all – $1,267.50; Costin Group – $1,000.00; American Express – $254.54 and LMCIT – $1,407.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $317.06, $90.97 & $1,000.00; NTS – $134.00, $134.00 & $38.00; Terry’s Operational Services – $1,141.20; Hawkins – $1,097.80 & $1,094.07; One Call Concept – $2.90; Ely Utilities Com. – $864.00; Rainy Lake Oil – $177.53; and LMCIT – $4,104.00. An additional invoice was submitted by Portage Construction for $3,590.00 ($2,390.00 G.C. Repair, $1,200 Freeze08). All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Audit: The 2006 Audit numbers are final except for depreciation. Adjustments will be made to the District books to reflect the 2006 audit.
- Blazevic Billing Comments: A letter will be sent to Mr. Blazevic addressing comments challenging the legality of the metering system used by the District.
- CLWSD Bid Request: Proposals were received from SEH and MSA to review the design and construction of the Wastewater Collection System and Treatment Plant. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott to accept the proposal provided by SEH. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Letters will be sent to both SEH and MSA.
- Electrical Service Applications: The applications have been completed and will be sent to Lake Country Power along with the application fee of $1,000.00. R. Scott will communicate with Portage Construction to begin work.
- B. Congdon Electric Line: Bill Congdon discovered that electrical lines to his house that he is currently planning to hookup were cut during the construction phase of the sewer project by Wagner Construction. A letter will be written to Wagner asking them to correct the error.
- Savings Access – Clerk: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott to approve access to the checking, savings, and certificate of deposit accounts at American Bank by Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- USDA RD Compliance Report: The Clerk attended a RD Compliance Review with RD Area Specialist Dennis Tabbert on September 4, 2008: The routine review concerned discrimination, budget, rate, and user delinquency issues.
- Delinquent Accounts: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott to send a notice of delinquency to Michael Seigley. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – October 7, 2008
Administration (CLWSD) (Cont.)
- Identity Theft Prevention Program Compliance: All utilities are required by the Federal Reserve System, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., the Federal Trade Commission, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision to comply to this regulation called the “Red Flag Rule”. R. Scott and J. Pohlman will review the Program and provide a policy and procedure for detecting, preventing, and mitigating identity theft at the November meeting.
- 2008/9 Rate Review-Analysis: Nothing new to report.
- Debt Service Plan (FEMA): Jennifer of Glorvigen suggested that the District may qualify for a FEMA grant. An email will be sent to Mike Larson of the IRRR requesting his advice on qualification and application.
Namakan Basin Project (S.E.H., MFS, RLK, Costin)
- An update on the project was presented by Gary Cerkvenik:
o $100,000 has been secured from St. Louis County to advance the project.
o Received additional support from the County to be our fiscal agent and to advice on the appropriate structure to manage project.
o Applied to the IRRRB for a $100,000 grant to match the County grant. Received support from Rep. Dill and Sen. Bakk. The IRRB Commissioner is in support of committing $50,000 this year and $50,000 next year for the project.
o Applied to the Army Corps of Engineers for the Section 569 program for $500,000 for the project.
o Followed up with the USDA Rural Development Agency on old application submitted. Will move forward on required items upon receipt of the IRRRB grant, establishment of a governing structure and CLWSD and Kabetogama approval.
o Discussed Public Facilities Authority money with the MPCA. Changes need to be made by Kabetogama Township to submit applications.
o Senator Klobuchar supported and submitted our $21 million request to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. Mr. Oberstar submitted the request in the House.
- A short term Joint Powers Authority (JPA) will need to be set up with a separate attorney suggested.
- Mr. Cerkvenik suggested meeting with the VNP Superintendent to invite him to the next CLWSD meeting to explain the Namakan Basin Area project. D. Scott will communicate with the VNP Superintendent.
Legal Issues (MFS, EFG, RLK)
- NTS Invoices: The Board’s counter offer for invoice settlement was sent to NTS. No response has been received to date. Mia (Peterson) Thibodeau of Fryberger will send a letter to NTS requesting a response within two weeks.
Sewer Freezing Issue (RLK)
- Elevated Pump Readings (ERP’s): Clerk Jo Ann sent an email to the Board stating concern about the EPR’s. This will be discussed at a committee meeting planned for later this month.
- Corrective Actions: The Project Status Report was received from John Jamnick via email. The report is quite extensive listing tasks completed and open issues. A committee meeting will be scheduled to include John Jamnick, Ron Rutchasky, Rob Scott and another Board Manager to review corrective action plans.
- Insurance Claim: The approved amount of the claim to date is around $10,000.
RLK Engineering Status Report (RLK)
- Stahnke Connection: B. Congdon will contact Ms. Stahnke for an update. Nothing new to report.
- CSAH 24 Culvert Design: A copy of an email from Marcus Hall, St. Louis County to County Commissioner Mike Forsman was forwarded to the Board. The project has been delayed and will move to next year’s construction program. The County is working on a plan to reduce cost for the District. No action is required by this Board.
- CSAH 24 Expansion: Various options were suggested. The Board favored an interim plan for prospective property buyers in the area from Handberg Road and CSAH 24 south until funding is received and expansion can be considered. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott to request RLK to provide an interim plan for future property buyers in the CSAH 24 expansion area. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A communication will be sent to the Holt’s transmitting this information.
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report with the Board. All Federal and State effluent limitations were maintained in September. Flows continue to decrease because of cooler weather and summer residents leaving the area. Preparation of the facility for winter has begun and will continue. The generator is ready for winter.
- All condition of the Letter of Warning from the MPCA have been met.
- The annual tour of the facility was provided to representatives of USDA-RD and MRWA.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – October 7, 2008
Operations Report (Cont.)
- James Spollar, Quality Flow Systems, inspected the sump pumps in the main lift station. A report will be coming. Because the sumps could not be lifted from the wet well at the plant, hooks will be installed in the ceiling for pulling and inspection the pumps. RLK will be contacted to suggest an installer.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) – There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: NOVEMBER 5, 2008, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.