CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
September 1, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adam.
Also present: S.E.H. Engineer Randy Jenniges, Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne Jackson, Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald, a reporter from the Timberjay, and 2 members of the community.
Opening Comments: Chairman Scott stated that a public hearing was held prior to this meeting for special assessment redistribution.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M Anderson, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of August 4, 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. August payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $1,062.28 and Operations – $1,720.63. The July 2010 financial statements, presented to the Board and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Fryberger, et al – $2,305.40; Glorvigen – $240.00; CNH – $17.50; and Quill – $116.99. ESA: CNH – $33.76; Finance and Commerce – $196.39; and S.E.H. – $3,540.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $480.03, $110.02, $24.05 & $24.05; Canoe Country Electric – $165.00 & $220.00; Citi-Lites – $25.00; Ely Utilities – $553.00; Hawkins – $990.20; NTS – $276.50; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,080.00 & $197.13. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $246.81 to the Department of Employment.
Rate Schedule Report: The Board reviewed the Preliminary Operating Fund and Special Assessment Revenue Savings Projections for 2011 – 2014. The Board will continue to review with decisions expected at the December meeting.
Administrative Levy: The Board reviewed budget and levy information provided prior to the meeting. R. Scott reminded the Board and those present that upon inquiry to St. Louis County regarding the low amount of levy money received in July, St. Louis County responded that they did not receive the District’s letter of December 2009 increasing the levy from $40,000 to $55,000; therefore, the District will be short and will need to compensate in the next levy year. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to set the 2011 levy request at $70,395.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The levy request will be reviewed in December.
Surveys: EDU survey letters were sent to WSA community members with the July billing for signature and return. Reminders were sent with the August billing to those that have not responded. A second reminder will be sent with the September billing to the few remaining that have not responded.
- VLD Special Assessments: The Board has the authority to redistribute special assessments. The Board discussed redistributing the remaining $43,847.75 in special assessment principal on VLD parcel code 308-0030-03536 to the 38 CIC parcel codes or to the 38 CIC parcel codes plus parcel code 03536, which is outside of the CIC. There is currently $13,286.42 in unpaid principal and interest applied to parcel code 03536; which must remain with that parcel code. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott to redistribute the $43,847.75 equally among the 38 CIC parcel codes and parcel code 03536. There was further discussion. The Board determined that the property assigned to parcel code 03536 is not buildable and the past due amount of $13,286.42 is so large that no special assessment should remain with that property. M. Anderson removed his motion. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to redistribute the $43,847.75 in special assessment principal from parcel code 308-0030-03536 to parcel codes 308-0094-00010 through 000380 equally. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – September 1, 2010
- VLD Special Assessments (Cont.): A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson to issue the Notice of Final Assessment to Voyageur Lakes Development and notify St. Louis County of Board action. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Insurance Claim: An insurance claim was submitted to Wells Fargo Insurance for lightning damage to equipment at the treatment plant. Acknowledgement of Claim was received.
- Mediation: No new date has been set.
- The Namakan Basin Joint Powers Board (JPB) has reached its sunset and has been closed based on the completion of the S.E.H. Comprehensive Plan. A summary of the Plan will be supplied for local discussions. The VNP Clean Waters Joint Powers Board remains active. There is a meeting scheduled with Congressman Oberstar on Sunday, September 5th in Mt. Iron.
Collection System Expansion
- Bid Process: Two bids were received and opened at 11AM on Thursday, August 26th at the Fellowship Hall. Based on the bid results and comparing it to the engineer’s estimate and the project budget, it was the opinion of S.E.H. that the bids should be rejected by the District. S.E.H. recommended consideration of the following with the re-bid to encourage more interest from contractors: 1) Consider a June 2011 completion date. 2) Consider hiring a local contractor to pot hole along the proposed force main route to determine actual bedrock locations. 3) Consider hiring Braun Intertec to complete a density test on the bedrock. 4) Remove the electrical work from the bid for the private connections. 5) Engineering adjustments on force main pipe based on compatibility between grinder pumps and lift station pressures. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to reject the bids. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Congdon, to approve a re-bid with the recommendations outlined by S.E.H. and to advertise in the required newspapers. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: Citi Lites will be asked to look into the issues at the Darrell Scott home, the Fire Hall, the Robert Congdon home, and the Church.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reviewed the Operations Report with the Board outlining mechanical problems hampering the plant operations.
- Recirculation Pump: The old re-circulating pump has failed. A new pump has been ordered at a $1,000 savings from the previous pump cost.
- Zone Valves: Six of eight electrically actuated zone valves failed simultaneously, apparently resulting from a lightning strike. A claim has been filed with the insurance carrier. Zones are being changed manually twice daily.
- Motor Starter: The motor starter for the new pump burnt out. The electrician switched the new pump to the larger starter that was recently installed in the control panel. Another larger starter has been ordered.
- Chemicals: T. Jackson is researching a chemical change from aluminum sulfate for possible better results.
- Stowage Building: The District was considering construction of a building outside the plant for chemical storage. A spot inside the plant is now being considered.
- Collection Drawings Update: Rutchasky Enterprises will be contacted to provide an update to the As Built drawings to reflect recent changes.
- Pumping Contract: T. Jackson will research pumping contract options for sludge removal.
- Road Repair: Carl Anderson will be contacted to provide the needed plant road repair.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) There were none.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – September 1, 2010
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 6, 2010, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.