CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
September 14, 2009 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Dave Adams, Bill Congdon, Rob Scott and Mike White.
Members absent: Manager Darrell Scott.
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and one member of the community.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of August 17, 2009. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Adams, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. August payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $706.63 and Operations – $1,551.13. The July 2009 financial statements were presented to the Board. Invoices-on-hand were reviewed with the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Adams, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,066.60; Fryberger, et al – $1,080.00; League of Minnesota Cities – $1,437.00 and SEH, Inc. – $1,189.20. Operations: Lake Country Power – $247.10, $80.06; $21.26 & $21.21; City of Virginia – $1,200.00; Ely Utilities – $540.00; Gopher State One Call – $4.35; Hawkins – $1,081.37; St. Louis County – $352.00; Teledyne – $221.89; Terry’s Operational Services – $1,395.00 & $471.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Levy: A motion was made by M. White, supported by B. Congdon to set the 2009 Levy, payable in 2010, at $40,000; down $15,000 from the previous year. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The levy can be adjusted, either up or down, up to mid-December of this year.
- Service Connection Procedures & Interim Connection Billing: Fryberger, et al will be sending an amended Ordinance #3 to the Board for signature.
- Insurance Claim 2009: Allied Adjusters will be contacted for an update on the insurance claim status.
- Culvert: A motion was made by D. Adams, supported by B. Condon, to approve signature of the Agreement between St. Louis County and the CLWSD to relocate the sanitary sewer utility line for culvert construction for a cost to be paid by the District not to exceed $5,000. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The District received a timeline for payment extending to October of 2010.
- Kristi Wheeler Billing Request: Ms. Wheeler’s letter of 8/25/09 asked if sewer rates could be adjusted for the disabled. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Adams, to send Kristi Wheeler’s letter to Fryberger, et al for a response recommendation. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Gopher State One Call: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Adams, requesting Terry Jackson to provide a follow-up procedure for locates and request verification of insurance coverage from Rutchasky Enterprises for locate work. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Liability Coverage Waiver Form: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White, to approve signature of the Liability Coverage Waiver Form stating that the District does not waive the monetary limits on municipal tort liability established by Minnesota Statues 466.04. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
USDA-RD Debt Service Update
- USDA-RD had indicated its intention to complete the workout plan by August 15th. All requested information has been submitted to Rural Development with no response received to date. Chairman Scott advised the Board to consider options should debt relief be received.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – September 14, 2009
- The monthly meeting of the Namakan Basin Joint Powers Board (JPB) was held at the Cook Land Department on August 20, 2009. Julie Kennedy of S.E.H. Engineering provided an update on the JPB Comprehensive Plan. She is working with the County Attorney’s Office and the Koochiching Environmental Service Office to prepare a project area map. Community survey mailings will be sent in September. Development of a website has begun. Julie Kennedy will be attending the October 13th Crane Lake Township Board of Supervisors’ Meeting to update the community on JPA activities. The JPB discussed the upcoming State Bonding Bill Meeting in Hibbing on October 14th.
- RLK and Freezing Issue: A committee meeting will be scheduled in Duluth with Fryberger, et al to review District options. A closed meeting is planned to follow the October Board of Managers’ Meeting.
- Collection System Analysis & Corrective Action Plan: Freeze related issues will be addressed first, then infiltration issues. A motion was made by D. Adams, supported by B. Congdon, to approve expenditure of $9,600 to do the freeze related work. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The culvert on Bowser Court will probably be addressed in the spring. Infiltration issues will be prioritized.
- Bonding Bill Funding: Addressed above under JPA Update.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report with the Board. The plant continued to meet all regulatory standards.
- A circuit board assembly counter and vinyl suction line will be installed to resolve influent automatic refrigerated composite sampler problems.
- Normal annual maintenance was performed on the emergency generator in preparation for winter.
- Rutchasky Enterprises will begin corrective action work for the collection system.
- A hook will be installed on the ceiling above the effluent wet well at the plant for pulling submersible effluent pumps for servicing.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 7, 2009, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.