CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
September 20, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Mark Anderson.
Also present: Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of August 3, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. August 2011 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $830.48 and Operations – $2,274.50. The July 2011 financial statements, along with a report of invoices paid with insurance claim funds, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, approving expenses related to notary renewal. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $621.00; Glorvigen – $200.00; League of MN Cities – $1,488.00; Lutefisk Tech. – $47.85; Rob Scott – $58.68 and Secretary of State – $120.00. ESA: St. Louis County Recorder – $322.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $336.47, $97.41, $24.05 & $24.05; Lake Country Power – $500.00; Hawkins – $915.10; Jason Anderson – $150.00; Pace Analytical – $280.00; Purdy Electric – $502.20; St. Louis County – 386.00 and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,217.62. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept. The Board did not approve payment to S.E.H. for $3,083.00.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
Administrative Levy: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to set the Proposed 2011, Payable 2012 Levy at $88,710.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The levy may be increased or decreased in December.
Rate Schedule: A raise in rates was discussed by the Board; the last raise was in 2006. R. Scott will email rate specialist Carl Brown to see if his opinion can be supplied without additional cost to the District.
Survey: Survey letters were sent to WSA and ESA customers with the September billing. A walk around will be done by District personnel to inspect current hook-ups and review the repair list.
USDA-RD Compliance Review: The three-year compliance review of the plant and administrative information was conducted on September 15th. Letters of ethnicity and race required by the Federal Government for certain types of loans and grants, will be mailed to new customers with the October billing and to each new customer in the future.
- Portage Maintenance Support Contract: Fryberger, Buchanan is currently reviewing the contract for the District.
- Lift Station Insurance Claim: Terry Jackson will be sending some additional claims to Allied Adjusters.
- Mediation: Fryberger, Buchanan will be submitting information to RLK to begin the 30-day review process.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – September 20, 2011
- VNP Clean Waters Project: There was no meeting in August. The September meeting at Ash River is scheduled for the 26th.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: There was nothing new to report.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reported that all effluent limitations were met during the month of August.
- A new chemical is being used in conjunction with aluminum sulfate to aid in the settling of solids in the primary clarifier. The preliminary results are very good.
- A problem with the recirculation pumps kicking out was recently encountered. The electrician determined the overloads are too small for pump number two and appropriately sized for pump number one. The proper overload relays for pump number two are being ordered. It was also discovered that more amps are being drawn on pump two than on pump one. This will be remedied.
- The rails were replaced at the Darrell Scott residence grinder station. Issues at the Wheeler and Voyageur Landing stations will be addressed. Businesses with double grinder pumps were inspected for electrical malfunctions and repairs were made where necessary.
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. was telephoned to participate in this portion of the meeting.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: The punch list items are nearly complete. Remaining tasks include supplier pump site visit with start up – an E-1 representative will be checking connected pumps within the next two weeks, and driveway grading.
- Final Payment: A letter was received from Utility Systems of America (USA) stating that they will not accept the payment application that includes liquidated damages and does not include interest for District late payments. The Board does not agree.
- Culvert: The work on the culvert will be completed next week so the County can finish their surfacing work.
- Outstanding S.E.H. Invoice: Randy will communicate with their Administrative Department on interest for the unpaid invoice.
- Easements: The easements will be sent to the County for recording with the check approved at this meeting.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:35PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 5, 2011, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.