CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
September 3, 2008 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Rob Scott and Mike White.
Members absent: Managers Dave Adams and Darrell Scott.
Also present: John Jamnick of RLK-Kuusisto, Terry Jackson of Terry’s Operational Services, Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Ron Rutchasky of Portage Construction, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, representatives from the Cook News-Herald and Voyageur Sentinel and 2 members of the community.
A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of August 6, 2008 and the Board of Managers’ Special Meeting of August 21, 2008. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The correspondence was presented to the Board. A motion was made by M. White, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. July payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $609.13 and Operations – $1,660.63. The June & July 2008 financial statements reviewed by Jennifer Hanson-Goulet of Glorvigen were presented to the Board as final. Jennifer recommended moving the Capital Reserve Fund to a savings account. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White to move $25,250.00 from the Capital Reserve Fund ($14,300.00 – Hookup Fee Sub-Fund, $10,950.00 – Operating Reserve Sub-Fund) to a Capital Reserve Savings Account leaving $1,000.00 in the Capital Reserve Fund as required by the MPCA (minimum amounts required by the MPCA: $254.99-2005, $236.70-2006, $222.41-2007). All voted in favor and the motion carried. Invoices-on-hand were reviewed with the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Glorvigen – $100.00; Fryberger, et all – $2,034.96; Costin Group – $1,046.80 and $1,043.87; League of MN Cities – $1,426.00; and Quill – $72.25. Operations: Lake Country Power – $304.02 & $93.84; NTS – $306.50; Terry’s Operational Services – $1,141.20; Handberg’s Marine – $10.25; St. Louis County Auditor – $322.00 and Quality Flow – $358.13, $441.03, $208.72 & $90.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Audit: The 2006 Audit numbers are final except for depreciation. A draft copy was emailed to all Board members. Adjustments will be made to the District books to reflect the 2006 audit.
- T. Jackson Contract: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White to approve the contract between the District and Terry Jackson of Terry’s Operational Services for sewer operation management services through 2009. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Admin Budget/Levy: A motion was made by M. White, supported by B. Congdon to certify a 2009 levy amount of $55,000.00 for administrative expenses to St. Louis County by September 15, 2008. All voted in favor and the motion carried. That amount may be adjusted before the end of December of this year.
- CLWSD Survey Bid Request: A draft letter was received from Mia Peterson of Fryberger to be sent to prospective bidders requesting a proposal for cost to review the engineering design of the collection and treatment systems. The letters will be sent soon.
- USDA RD Compliance Report: A Compliance Review and Wastewater Treatment inspection is scheduled for September 4, 2008: Terry Jackson will attend the inspection of the Treatment Plant; Jo Ann Pohlman will attend the Compliance Review.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – September 3, 2008
Namakan Basin Project (S.E.H., MFS, RLK, Costin)
- An update on the project was received from Gary Cerkvenik:
o Mr. Oberstar has submitted the authorization request under the Water Resources Development Act II for the Namakan Basin project to the subcommittee.
o $100,000 was received from St. Louis County for development work on the project. The IRRRB passed their budget last week and are now considering our grant request.
o Rep. David Dill has agreed to sponsor a direct appropriation request in the MN House of Representatives. Senator Bakk has been supportive also.
o A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White authorizing Gary Cerkvenik to work with Fryberger, et al for any legal work necessary for the Namakan Basin project. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Legal Issues (MFS, EFG, RLK)
- NTS Invoices: The Board’s counter offer for invoice settlement was sent to NTS. No response has been received to date.
Sewer Freezing Issue (RLK)
- Corrective Actions: The plan for corrective action was reviewed with Ron Rutchasky of Portage Construction.
- Insurance Claim: Nothing new to report.
RLK Engineering Status Report (RLK)
- J. Jamnick reviewed the Project Status Report.
- Stahnke Connection: B. Congdon will contact Ms. Stahnke for an update.
- CSAH 24 Culvert Design: RLK has submitted a design to the County.
- A request for cost was received for connection to the system on the west side of the Crane Lake Road. The Board will review the request and expenses involved.
- Terry Jackson reported that the plant continued to operate well during the month of August. Mr. Jackson met with Jaramie Logelin, MPCA Duluth on August 5th for a Compliance Evaluation Inspection of the plant. Two necessary requirements are being addressed. Bio-solids were transferred to Virginia near the end of August. Terry will attend a USDA-RD inspection of the plant on September 4th. Quality Flow will provide maintenance to the main lift pumps and the effluent pumps at the plant on September 4th.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit)
Dave Beckmann requested that the 4” line from his grinder tank to his house be inspected during tank replacement. He felt the District should pay for any repair resulting from freezing. The Board agreed.
Paul Hamblin asked if there would be any heat tape added to the manholes on Gold Coast Road. Ron Rutchasky was to meet with Paul Hamblin after the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:42PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: OCTOBER 1, 2008, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.