CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT
P.O. BOX 306
CRANE LAKE, MN 55725
CLWSD Newsletter #10 – August 2003
This newsletter is being mailed to all property owners within the Crane Lake Water and Sanitary District and other interested parties. It provides a summary of the Board of Managers activities and related requirements for Board decisions.
REQUEST FOR INJUNCTION
On May 20th the Sixth District Court denied a request for a temporary injunction filed on behalf of the Crane Lake Property Owners for Common Sense (CLPOCS) CLPOCS then had the opportunity to bring a lawsuit into Court, although the Judge did state “there is insufficient likelihood that Plaintiff will prevail on the merits of the suit”. Nevertheless, CLPOCS did proceed and the court trial was held on July 8 and 9, 2003.
In the ruling issued July 30, 2003 the Court stated that the actions taken by the CLWSD Board related to construction and financing of the Gold Coast Project were not arbitrary, capricious or unreasonable. It also stated that the CLWSD Board operated within its authority to construct, install, improve, maintain and operate a sewer system to control and prevent water pollution for the District’s public health and welfare.
This “action for inaction” has been very time consuming and stressful. It will also prove to be very expensive for all sanitary district property owners.
In recognition of local summer traffic levels, Wagner Construction has temporarily suspended collection system work until after Labor Day. This will not affect the required project completion date set for the summer of 2004. In the meantime Rice Lake Construction continues work on the treatment plant.
NEW BOARD MEMBER
On July 8th the St. Louis County Board of Commissioners appointed Lewis “Bud” Bystrom to fill the existing vacancy on the CLWSD Board of Managers. The Board is confident that it is joined by all members of the District in welcoming Bud to the Board. Bud’s knowledge, experience and dedication will be an asset for the Board.
After several months of accommodating requested easement changes, the Board posted notice that as of August 6, 2003 the cost of easement changes will be borne by the requesting property owner. The costs can become quite significant with related engineering, surveying and legal requirements.
- The 2003 Forecast and 2004 Budget and Levy will be completed as soon as the court costs have been determined. The levy amount for Administrative Expense is due September 15th.
- The Board has initiated action to transfer responsibility for Board appointments from the St. Louis County Board to the Crane Lake Town Board. This action is within Minnesota Pollution Control Agency requirements.
- Board Election of Officers for the remainder of 2003 included Mike White – Chairman, Darrell Scott – Vice-Chair and Deena Condgon – Treasurer.
- The Crane Lake Town Board has named the road to the treatment plant “White Pine Way”.
- Board Meetings are held at 7:30 PM on the first and third Wednesdays at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall. Plan to Attend!
Visit our website at www.clwsd.org. Our e-mail address is email@example.com.
Board of Managers:
Bud Bystrom 993-2351 Deena Congdon 993-2269
Jim Sanborn 993-2404 Darrell Scott 993-2378
* Mike White 993-2424